Certain plastic products, for which perfectly good substitutes exist, are completely banned within the EU. Perfect replacement alternatives mean that the product is already available on the market in other materials or as reusable alternatives. A ban on certain single-use plastic products applies in Sweden from January 1, 2022.
The bans only apply to those who put the products on the market for the first time, i.e. the producers.
Producers are those who manufacture or bring the products into Sweden. The term "bring in" refers to both import and introduction; with goods intended for import into Sweden from a country outside the EU and goods intended for import into Sweden from another country within the EU.
Other actors who sell or provide these products may continue to do so even after the prohibition requirement has entered into force.
The bans apply to the following disposable plastic products:
- Cotton swabs, except for those used as medical equipment.
- Cutlery (forks, knives, spoons and chopsticks)
- Straws, except for those used as medical equipment.
- Stirrer for drinks
- Balloon sticks
- Products made from oxo-degradable plastic.
- Food containers in expanded polystyrene (e.g. styrofoam) with or without lids intended to be consumed directly and without further preparation.
- Beverage containers and mugs in expanded polystyrene (e.g. styrofoam) including corks and lids.